Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, many companies are now holding job interviews over the phone. This means:
- It’s very important to make a good first impression. This can be something as small as how you answer the phone!
- On the day of your interview, answer every call as if it is your interviewer. Sometimes they might call early.
- Make sure you are ready to have your telephone interview somewhere with a good phone signal that is not too loud. If you do not have a good signal, it may be difficult for the interviewer to hear you.
- If your interviewer doesn’t call at the time given, you should call them after 10 minutes (if they have provided you with a phone number). If you don’t have a number, you should email them.
- If your interview is in person or via video call/Zoom, you should wear appropriate clothing. This doesn’t need to be really formal, but your clothing should be clean and appropriate for the workplace such as a plain shirt or top (no hoodies) and smart trousers.
- You should log in around 5 minutes before the time of your interview. You can also practise logging in a few hours before the interview to check everything works smoothly.
In telephone & zoom interviews, you can have your CV and some short notes in front of you. These can be really helpful for you to remember your work experience. It will also help you to feel more confident about what makes you the right fit for the role.
If you’re stuck with what to write for notes, try thinking about the most important qualities that you need in your role (such as being organised, caring, good at timekeeping, etc.).
Then, think of some examples of how you have shown these qualities in the past. It can be easier for you to talk about these great qualities if they’re written down!