Social Enterprise UK defines "social enterprises" as businesses that:
- Have a clear social and/or environmental mission set out in their governing documents
- Generate the majority of their income through trade
- Reinvest the majority of their profits
- Are autonomous of the state
- Are majority controlled in the interests of the social mission
- Are accountable and transparent
Many charities and businesses create positive social impact as a by-product of their operations. But we aspire to be an organisation with a business model that is based on solving social problems.
In the case of Beam, the positive social impact we are creating is to support a growing number of disadvantaged people including homeless people to gain new skills and attain and sustain employment.